Springtime Recipes Using Local Dutchess Ingredients
Date Published: May 20, 2021
Springtime in Dutchess County! The scenic landscape is in bloom, farms come alive, and restaurants offer dining a la fresco. It's a beautiful time of year to visit the heart of the Hudson Valley. As a farm and food destination, Dutchess provides wonderful family-friendly destinations where you can create fond memories. And don't let the experience end when you leave - bring home local, seasonal, farm fresh ingredients to create delicious meals in your own kitchen!
Grilled Asparagus Salad with Local Bacon and a Fried Egg
Nothing says springtime quite like brunch! Pick-your-own asparagus for this dish at Greig Farm in Red Hook. Visit Locust Hill Market in Millbrook for their bacon and to grab some Chaseholm Farm cheese. Pair the meal with a beautifully crisp and refreshing Rosé from Millbrook Vineyards & Winery.
- Begin to prepare the vinaigrette for salad. Smash one glove of garlic. In a medium bowl add mashed sgarlic and 1/4 cup olive oil. Swirl around. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to 450 degrees.
- Coat asparagus in olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill asparagus 4-5 minutes on each side - until you see a bit of char on them. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Heat pan on stove top to low to medium heat. Add bacon. Cook 5-8 minutes on each side. Until it’s a bit crispy!
- In a separate pan, place on stove top on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter. Crack and egg in the pan and fry until edges are crispy and whites are cooked. Remove from heat.
- To assemble: Remove garlic clove from olive oil. Add squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop asparagus in 1-inch pieces. Add asparagus and arugula to bowl with oil and toss.
- To plate, place handful of green on the plate. Add fried egg and bacon.
- Shave Stella Vallis cheese over top.
Local Berry Crunch Ice Cream Sundae
As the temperatures rise, cool off with ice cream - locally made that is! And this Berry Crunch sundae couldn't be easier.
*Will be in-season for pick-your-own at Dutchess County farms in June. Plan your visit!
- Dice up farm fresh strawberries.
- Scoop vanilla ice cream into dish.
- Sprinkle Wholey Oats granola.
- Add diced strawberries.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.